Kennebec River Brewery Beers: Handcrafted Ales & Lagers at our Maine Resort
Our Maine Brewery Produces Custom Ales & Lagers On Site!Our fresh beers are handcrafted right at our brewery at Northern Outdoors, and are available on tap at our brewpub in The Forks Resort Center. We launched our microbrewery because several of our staff are microbrew connoisseurs and we had the perfect setting for production. It was a natural fit from the very start.
Our Custom Maine Beer Gets Rave Reviews From Guests and Staff Alike!
We work hard to produce the tastiest ales and lagers in the North Woods, right here at Northern Outdoors.
What's In Our Maine Beer
Using the finest two-row malted barleys, premium imported and domestic hops, superior yeasts, and pure Kennebec Valley water, we have been handcrafting flavorful ales that tickle the senses and delight the palate since 1997.
Our draught beers are "keg-conditioned" and are never filtered or pasteurized. After kegging, they are allowed to condition and carbonate naturally. See how we do it at our glassed-in microbrewery, or come on in, we'll show you around!
Our Custom Ales and Lagers Available On Tap
LET 'ER DRIFT SUMMER ALE (Summer Only)A classic American pale ale crafted with domestic malted barley and fresh Cascade hops from the Pacific Northwest. An excellent choice for those new to microbrews, it's as refreshing as a ride down the Kennebec "Rivah"!
SLEDHEAD RED (Winter Only)An incredibly smooth red ale with moderate bitterness up front, which gives way to a delightful malty finish. Brewed using five European malts and three varieties of domestic Northwest hops.
WHITEWATER WITA light bodied, well carbonated white ale brewed with Curacao bitter orange peel and coriander spice. Crafted in the style of the classic belgian witbiers. A great summer thirst quencher!
HONEY BADGER RYEThis straw colored, easy drinking ale is fermented with real honey and sweet orange peel. The rye malt imparts a somewhat dry finish that is balanced by the sweetness of the honey.
MAGIC HOLE IPA (Year-round)
Our flagship ale, this was our first brew ever made in 1997. This copper colored, American style India Pale Ale is crafted with abundant amounts of North American malted barley for a full malt flavor. The aggressive bitter bite comes from a generous infusion of Magnum hops, with late additions of Columbus and Summit adding abundant hop flavor and aroma. Dry hopping with Summit adds to the big hop aroma on this brew.
Sustainable Business Practices and Our Brewery
We work hard to incorporate sustainable business practices into our brewing process. Reducing consumption, reusing and recycling raw materials are core components of our operations. Here's some of the things we do:
- Office paper, cardboard, plastic wrap, glass and pallets are just some of the many components recycled at the brewery. All are diverted from the landfill.
- All our spent grains are delivered to a local deer farm for feed.
- Hot water produced during the process of cooling down the wort during the transfer to fermenters, is saved and reused for future brewing cooling processes as well as for cleaning.
- We do not use electrically run chillers and compressors to keep our beers cool while fermenting. Chilling is done geothermally, by circulating the cool waters from our 300' deep well.
- Spent vegetable oil used in fryolaters at the Kennebec River Pub & Brewery, is donated to one of our long time river guides Peter Brown. Peter converts the spent oil into fuel on his homemade biodiesel plant in his garage in Portland.
- Learn more about The Forks Resort.