29 Jan The Forks Area Snowmobile Trail Report
We received about 10” of snow on Tuesday. Groomed everything out Wednesday and Thursday. Ready for the next storm on Friday. Plenty of snow to work with now!
DETOUR . . . . . ITS 87 BETWEEN PLEASANT POND AND MOXIE MOUNTAIN IS CLOSED DUE TO LOGGING AND SEVERAL MILES OF PLOWED ROAD WITH HEAVY TRUCKING. Use the Pleasant Pond Trail and/or the Bald Mountain Trail as a detour around the closed section of ITS 87.
• ITS 86 FROM BERRY’S STORE HEADING EAST TOWARD GREENVILLE/ROCKWOOD TO THE ITS 88 JUNCTION. Intown is still a bit rough, but not bad. Once out of town just a mile, things improve greatly. Boise Road section is great. Half mile Power Line section near Moxie Pond is good. There is a 2 mile section of plowed road due to logging, around Moxie Pond and on the Shirley Road section. Go slow through there. Another 1 mile plowed section as you travel a little further east, on the Brochu Road. Please go slow through these spots and yield to trucks. Rest of the way up to ITS 88 intersection is in good shape.
• ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM. Divide Road section is groomed and fine riding. Woods trail section heading toward Pleasant Pond is still a little choppy, but much improved after this last storm. ITS 87 south of Pleasant Pond is closed due to an active logging operation, with several miles of plowed road and heavy trucking. Use the Pleasant Pond Trail and/or the Bald Mountain Trail as a detour around the closed section of ITS 87.
• PLEASANT POND TRAIL. Still just a bit rough the first 1 mile on the woods trail, then smooth sailing the rest of the way.
• BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL FROM ITS 86 HEADING SOUTH TO ITS 87. Good going all the way through to the Bingham turnaround.
• BREAKNECK RIDGE TRAIL. Open and good riding.
• KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL FROM NORTHERN OUTDOORS INTO THE FORKS. Groomed and a little choppy in a couple spots, but overall in good shape.
For day riders, there is a FREE PARK & RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors on Route 201. The lot is very large, well plowed and has plenty of room for large trailers. The lot is marked with a large sign on Route 201. Trail maps, 91 octane gas, food are available at Northern Outdoors.
Forks Area Trails Club