30 Jan January 30, 2012 The Forks Area Snowmobile Trail Conditions Report
Last week’s storm dropped 6+ inches of snow in The Forks. This really helped to improve conditions, and we are now on our regular grooming schedule. Sledders this weekend were happy with the riding. Generally speaking, trails on roads are in very good shape. Woods trails are rough, but passable. There can be ice on some of the corners, so ride with caution at all times.
- ITS 86 east from Berry’s Store heading toward Greenville: First mile of in town trails out of the valley are rough, but passable. After this, things improve greatly. The vast majority of this trail section all the way to Greenville, is on roads. Boise Road, Shirley Road, Brochu Road all have great riding. Short ½ mile Power Line section along Moxie Pond is rough.
- ITS 87 south heading toward Bingham: Great riding on the Divide Road. Rough for 1 mile around Pleasant Pond, and 1 mile around Moore’s Bog. Other than that, you’re on roads with good riding. Check out the spur trail up to the Moxie Mountain Lookout. Great views of Sugarloaf and the Bigelow Range.
- Bald Mountain Trail from ITS 87 to ITS 86: Very good all the way, except for a rough 1 mile stretch about half way.
- Pleasant Pond Trail: This club trail has not been groomed yet, but sleds have been going through.
- Kennebec River Trail from Northern Outdoors to ITS 86/87: Has not been groomed yet, but riders are going through. Scheduled to be groomed on Tuesday.
All in all, there is finally good riding to be had. Looks like a little more snow coming in on Tuesday!
Trailmaster, Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Club
Food, gas and trail maps are available at the Northern Outdoors Lodge. Call 888-770-SLED for details.
Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Trail Report
Northern Outdoors Snowmobiling
Northern Outdoors Cabin Rentals