08 Jan 16 Northern Outdoors: The Forks Snowmobile Trail Report for 1/8/15
THE FORKS, MAINE TRAIL REPORT 1/8/2016
The snow we received over a week ago has packed down considerably, and very cold temps have frozen up most of the wet spots. Lots of sleds out last weekend enjoying the early season riding. We went out with the groomers after the storms before New Years and panned everything out. We have a good solid base established on the trails and now just need a few inches of fresh snow in order to groom things out. Generally speaking, sections of the trail on unplowed roads are in fair shape. Woods trails are very rough. There are still some late fall logging operations that are just wrapping up, so there are some plowed roads in places. Go slow through these spots.
In summary, our trail system needs just a little more snow so the groomers can go out and do their thing. All sections are passable but you have to contend with the iced over wet spots, rough woods trails, and some plowed roads.
- ITS 86 FROM BERRY’S STORE HEADING EAST TOWARD GREENVILLE/ROCKWOOD TO THE ITS 88 JUNCTION. Intown is very rough. Once out of town a couple miles, things improve. There was a logging operation on the Boise Road that just finished up and moved out yesterday. But that 3 mile section has been plowed. Half mile Power Line section near Moxie Pond is very rough. Couple wet spots through there that are easily gotten around. There is a 2 mile section of plowed road due to logging, around Moxie Pond and on the Shirley Road sections. This plowed section has a hard packed snow cover on it. Go slow through there. Rest of the way up to ITS 88 intersection is in decent shape.
- ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM. Divide Road section is decent. ITS 87 heading south from Northern Outdoors to the Moore’s Bog area had a number of wet spots that have now frozen over, and it is very rough. From Moore’s Bog area continuing south is mostly on roads and in decent shape. There is another 4 mile section of plowed road on ITS 87, from the intersection with the Bald Mountain Trail and heading south. It is pretty scratchy in some spots through there.
- PLEASANT POND TRAIL. Closed for the entire season due to logging.
- BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL FROM ITS 86 HEADING SOUTH TO ITS 87. Good riding all the way through to the Bingham turnaround. A couple wet spots to navigate around.
- KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL. Is open and has been panned with the groomers.
We’ve also have a very active Facebook page where we do our best to answer timely questions and update on new conditions as they happen. Feel free to share your adventure photos and leave feedback as well!