24 Mar Snowmobile Trail Report for The Forks, Maine
We received about 6” of snow from Monday’s storm. In general, there is still enjoyable riding in The Forks. All 100 miles of our trail system are open and being groomed on Wednesday and Friday nights this week. Some small patches of bare ground are present in a few of the sunny spots, but are easy to get around. Cold temps for the rest of the week, and a beautiful weekend coming up . . . . . get that last ride in! Remember, it is spring so rocks, stumps and water can pop up at any time . . . . ride with caution.
- ITS 86 FROM BERRY’S STORE HEADING EAST TOWARD GREENVILLE. Intown trail is poor but passable. Things improve once out of the valley. A few rocks poking up on the Power Line near Moxie Lake. Brochu Road has plenty of snow.
- ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM. A few bare spots starting to show, from Pleasant Pond Trail intersection heading south. A little bobbing and weaving will get you around them. This very scenic trail winds around the base of rugged Moxie Mountain. Check out the 3 mile spur trail up to Moxie Mtn. Lookout. Incredible views of Sugarloaf Mtn. and the Bigelow Range.
- BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL FROM ITS 87 TO ITS 86. The loggers have just plowed open a 2 mile section of the Bald Mtn. Trail, near where it intersects with the Pleasant Pond Trail. About 75% of this plowed section has a snow base. About 25% is down to dirt. The rest of the Bald Mtn. Trail has very good riding and plenty of snow. This trail and ITS 86 & 87 make a great loop.
- BREAKNECK RIDGE TRAIL. Open all the way from Bald Mtn. Trail through to Blanchard and ITS 85.
- PLEASANT POND TRAIL. Open and groomed all the way through. Very good riding with plenty of snow. Nice loop trail around Pleasant Pond and Pleasant Pond Mountain.
- KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL FROM NORTHERN OUTDOORS TO BERRY’S STORE. Open and groomed all the way through. A few rocks popping up here and there. Scenic riding along the Kennebec River.
For all you day riders, there’s a FREE PARK & RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors on Route 201, with groomed trail access. Food, gas and trail maps are available at the main lodge. Call 888-770-SLED for details.
Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Club