20 Jan Northern Outdoors: The Forks Snowmobile Trail Report for 1/20/2016
THE FORKS TRAIL REPORT 1/20/2016
Groomers have been out on all sections this week and we will hit things again, as needed, on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. Generally speaking, sections of the trail on unplowed roads are in very good shape. Woods trails are very rough, but passable. There is plenty of snow to groom on road sections. We are not grooming woods trails until we get more snow. Fortunately, about 75% of our trail system is on roads. We have been able to pull snow into most of the water bars that opened up with all the rain we had on Jan 10, but there are still some divots here and there. You have to be careful at all times. There is very enjoyable riding out there, but remember that it is low snow conditions.
** FOR RIDERS GOING BETWEEN THE FORKS AND BINGHAM . . . . Because of very rough trail and water issues on ITS 87 around Pleasant Pond and Moore’s Bog, it is highly recommended to use the Bald Mountain Trail and not ITS 87 to travel north and south. This section is all passable, but we haven’t been able to groom about 4 miles of woods trail until we get more snow. Bald Mountain Trail is in very good shape.
- ITS 86 FROM BERRY’S STORE HEADING EAST TOWARD GREENVILLE/ROCKWOOD TO THE ITS 88 JUNCTION. Intown is very rough, but passable. We can’t groom intown until we get more snow. Once out of town just a couple miles, things improve greatly. Boise Road section is great riding. Half mile Power Line section near Moxie Pond is very rough. Couple wet spots through there that are easily gotten around. There is a 2 mile section of plowed road due to logging, around Moxie Pond and on the Shirley Road sections. This plowed section has a hard packed snow cover on it, with some powder. No issues with lubrication. Go slow through there. Rest of the way up to ITS 88 intersection is in very good shape.
• ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM. Divide Road section to Northern Outdoors is great. ITS 87 heading south from Northern Outdoors to the Moore’s Bog area has a number of wet spots that are frozen over, and it is very rough. We can’t groom this section until we get more snow. From Moore’s Bog area continuing south is mostly on roads and in decent shape. Caratunk Spur is open and groomed.
• PLEASANT POND TRAIL. Closed for the entire season due to logging.
- BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL FROM ITS 86 HEADING SOUTH TO ITS 87.Great ride all the way through to the Bingham turnaround.
• KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL. Is open and groomed all the way through. Last mile on the north end can’t be groomed until we get more snow, so it’s rough but passable.
For day riders, the FREE PARK & RIDE LOT is open. The lot is very large, well plowed and can accommodate large trailers. There is groomed access to all trails from the lot. It is located right on Route 201 just ¼ mile south of Northern Outdoors. Food, trail maps, 91 octane gas are available at Northern Outdoors.
We’ve also have a very active Facebook page where we do our best to answer timely questions and update on new conditions as they happen. Feel free to share your adventure photos and leave feedback as well!