03 Feb 12 The Forks Area Snowmobile Trail Report
A few more inches of fresh snow fell on Wednesday. There is now plenty of snow to work with, and groomer operators are reporting great conditions everywhere. We are on our regular mid-winter grooming schedule, and cold temps will help keep things in good shape.
• ITS 86 east from Berry’s Store heading toward Greenville: Intown trail is now in good shape. Boise Road, Shirley Road, Brochu Road sections are all flat and fast. The short ½ mile Power Line section near Lake Moxie is rough. Other than that, it’s great riding all the way to Greenville.
• ITS 87 south heading toward Bingham: Great riding on the Divide Road. A little rough for 1 mile around Pleasant Pond, and 1 mile around Moore’s Bog. Other than that, you’re on unplowed roads with very good riding. Check out the groomed spur trail up to the Moxie Mountain Lookout. Great views of Sugarloaf and the Bigelow Range.
• Bald Mountain Trail from ITS 87 to ITS 86: Great riding all the way through. There is a logging operation on the south end at Heald Stream, with a 1 mile section of shared, plowed road. Be careful through there.
• Pleasant Pond Trail: This club trail has been groomed, except for 2 miles on the west end. Many sleds have been going through.
• Breakneck Ridge Trail: This trail is closed for the 2012 season, due to logging and several miles of plowed roads. It is illegal to ride on unauthorized plowed roads. Please respect the landowners wishes on this.
• Kennebec River Trail from Northern Outdoors to ITS 86/87: Is groomed with good riding. Scenic trail along the Kennebec River.
A late start, but we finally have great riding in The Forks. For day riders, there is a FREE PARK & RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors on Route 201. Food, trail maps and gas are available right at the Lodge.
Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Club