10 Mar 12 The Forks Area Snowmobile Trails Update
The big warm up we had on Thursday has put a hurt on the trail system. All portions of The Forks Trail System are currently passable. There are parts where you will have to “bob & weave” to stay on snow, and other sections have good snow coverage with good riding. For the most part, the trails are fairly flat. There are bare spots on some sections, and ice and slush can be anywhere. Ride with caution at all times. There is good off trail riding opportunities too.
• ITS 86 EAST FROM BERRY'S STORE HEADING TOWARD GREENVILLE: Rideable all the way to Greenville. Intown trail is in fair shape. Boise Road, Shirley Road and Brochu Road sections are all flat and fast. Short ½ mile Power Line section near Moxie Pond is rough with some stumps and rocks poking through, but easily passable.
• ITS 87 SOUTH HEADING TOWARD BINGHAM: Divide Road has numerous bare spots on the inside of most corners. Just have to stay on the outside of the corner to stay on snow. A little rough in wooded section for 1 mile around Moore’s Bog. Some short bare spots as you head south on ITS 87 toward Bingham. Check out the groomed spur trail up to the Moxie Mountain Lookout. Spectacular views of Sugarloaf and the Bigelow Range. Well worth the short detour.
• BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL FROM ITS 87 TO ITS 86: Decent ride all the way through. This trail, combined with ITS 86 & 87, makes a nice loop ride to/from The Forks, with some beautiful mountain scenery.
• PLEASANT POND TRAIL: This club trail is groomed with good riding. One half mile rough section around the south side of Pleasant Pond. Good riding elsewhere.
• BREAKNECK RIDGE TRAIL: This trail is closed for the 2012 season, due to logging and several miles of plowed roads. It is illegal to ride on unauthorized plowed roads. Please respect the landowners wishes on this.
• KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL FROM NORTHERN OUTDOORS TO ITS 86/87: Fair riding all the way through. Just a few short bare spots. Scenic trail along the Kennebec River.
For day riders, there is a FREE PARK & RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors on Route 201, with groomed trail access. Lot is well plowed, very large and can accommodate trailers of all sizes. Food, trail maps and gas are available right at the Lodge.
Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Club