13 Mar The Forks Maine – Snowmobile Trail Conditions Report
We still have a solid 30" of snow on the ground, and grooming is ongoing. Received a couple inches of snow and sleet on Wednesday. Groomers went out Wednesday night and flattened everything out while it was soft. Temperatures are well below freezing again, and the trails are in awesome shape. Flat and fast everywhere! There can be a spot of ice here and there, so RIDE WITH CAUTION AT ALL TIMES. All 70 miles of The Forks Snowmobile Trail System will be groomed out on both Friday and Saturday nights.
• ITS 86 FROM BERRY’S STORE IN WEST FORKS, HEADING EAST TOWARD GREENVILLE. Excellent riding all the way. Intown trails are in good shape too with plenty of snow. There is a logging operation along a short section of the intown trail. Skidders can be crossing the trail, so be careful through there.
• BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL. About as close to perfection as you can get! Great all the way through from ITS 86 to ITS 87.
• BREAKNECK RIDGE TRAIL. Closed for the season due to heavy logging and plowed roads on the Blanchard end.
• ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM. Excellent riding. This trail winds around the base of Moxie Mountain for several miles, with spectacular views of the rocky summit. There is also fine off trail riding in the basin on the west side of the mountain, with expansive views of Sugarloaf Mountain and the Bigelow Range.
• PLEASANT POND TRAIL. Prime riding all the way through from ITS 87 to the Bald Mountain Trail. This trail and ITS 87 make a great mountain loop, with outstanding scenery of Moxie Mountain, Pleasant Pond Mountain and Bald Mountain.
• KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL. Great riding all the way through from Northern Outdoors to Berry’s Store in West Forks. Very scenic trail along the Kennebec river. There are a lot of deer yarded up along this trail this winter, so be careful.
Outstanding riding yet to be enjoyed in The Forks area! Barring a major warmup, the snowmobiling should be good for another couple of weeks. Get out and enjoy another great Maine snowmobiling season while it lasts.
For day trippers, there is a FREE PARK AND RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors Resort on Route 201. Gas, trail maps, food, restrooms and trail info are available right at the Lodge. Call 888-770-SLED for details.
Jim Yearwood, Trailmaster
Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Club