23 Feb The Forks Maine – Snowmobile Trail Conditions
Sunday nights clipper dumped around 2 feet of new snow . We’ve got a great base of with some outstanding riding.
All 70 miles of The Forks Snowmobile Trail System will be flattened and packed on Monday night. For the rest of the week, the entire trail system will be groomed on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. The trail base was fairly flat before the storm, so this 2 feet will groom out real well. It will certainly take care of any thin corners that were showing up! Keep in mind that it will take a couple of days for the air to get pounded out of this new snow, so the trails will probably be soft until mid week.
• ITS 86 FROM BERRY’S STORE IN WEST FORKS, HEADING EAST TOWARD GREENVILLE. Great. Scenic riding around Mosquito Mountain and Moxie Pond. Flat and fast on the Shirley and Brochu Roads. There is a logging operation along a short section of the intown trail. Skidders can be crossing the trail in a couple of places, so be careful through there.
• BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL. Great. Flat and fast all the way through from ITS 86 to ITS 87.
• BREAKNECK RIDGE TRAIL. Closed for the season due to heavy logging and plowed roads on the Blanchard end.
• ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM. Great. This trail winds around the base of Moxie Mountain for several miles, with spectacular views of the rocky summit. Watch out for snow drifts around the mountain. There is also fine off trail riding in the basin on the west side of the mountain, with expansive views of Sugarloaf Mountain and the Bigelow Range. Suggest bringing a shovel for any off trail riding . . . its getting deep out there!
• PLEASANT POND TRAIL. This is a club trail and will not be groomed until Wednesday afternoon. This trail and ITS 87 make a great mountain loop, with outstanding scenery of Moxie Mountain, Pleasant Pond Mountain and Bald Mountain.
• KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL. Fine shape all the way through from Northern Outdoors to Berry’s Store in West Forks. Very scenic riding along the Kennebec River.
As it stands now, we are set up for outstanding riding well into March. With great lodging rates and outstanding trail conditions March is the time to get out and enjoy another great Maine snowmobiling season!
For day trippers, there is a FREE PARK AND RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors Resort on Route 201. Gas, trail maps, food, restrooms and trail info are available right at the Lodge. Call 888-770-SLED for details.
Jim Yearwood, Trailmaster
Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Club