03 Feb The Forks Maine – Snowmobile Trail Conditions
We have about 36" of snow on the ground. Lots of happy riders this past week . . . conditions continue to be great. All 70 miles of The Forks Snowmobile Trail System are being groomed on a regular basis with 2 Tucker Terra Sno-Cats. This week, the entire trail system will be groomed on each of Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
• ITS 86 FROM BERRY’S STORE HEADING EAST TOWARD GREENVILLE. In great shape all the way. Short Power Line section near Moxie Lake is flat. There is logging starting up this week along a short section of the intown trail. Skidders will be crossing the trail in a couple spots, so be careful through there.
• BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL. This is the former ITS 87 on the east side of Moxie Lake. Flat and fast!
• BREAKNECK RIDGE TRAIL. Closed for the season due to heavy logging and plowed roads on the Blanchard end.
• ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM. Excellent shape all the way. This trail winds around the base of Moxie Mountain for several miles, with spectacular views of the rocky summit. There’s also fine off trail riding in the basin on the west side of the mountain, with expansive views of Sugarloaf Mountain and the Bigelow Range. Recommend bringing a shovel for any off trail riding . . . its getting deep out there!
• PLEASANT POND CLUB TRAIL. Open with great riding. This is a secondary club trail that will be groomed on Tuesday.
• KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL. Open and well groomed all the way through from Northern Outdoors to Berry’s Store in West Forks. Scenic riding along the Kennebec River.
There’s outstanding snowmobiling to be had in the area. It’s time to get out and ride! As the snow piles up in the woods, more and more animals are using the packed trails to get around. Moose, deer and turkeys have all be spotted on the trails, day and night. RIDE WITH CAUTION AT ALL TIMES!
For day trippers, there is a FREE PARK AND RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors Resort on Route 201. Gas, trail maps, food, restrooms and trail info are available right at the Lodge. Call 888-770-SLED for details.
Jim Yearwood, Trailmaster
Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Club