Penobscot River White Water Rafting Maine
Penobscot River Rafting at Mt. Katahdin & Baxter State Park: Maine's Great WildernessExperience the best Penobscot River rafting trip available in Maine! Northern Outdoors runs a classic top-to-bottom river rafting trip, unlike other outfitters. The only stop is for a welcome gourmet grilled riverside lunch between the upper and lower sections of the Penobscot River. Enjoy awesome whitewater rafting with the Class IV & IV+ action in the granite-walled Ripogenus Gorge of the Upper Penobscot River with a series of steep drops followed by pools on the Lower Penobscot section. The scenery is as spectacular as the whitewater - guaranteed!
Book Penobscot Rafting Online
Call to book Penobscot Lodging at Abol Bridge - cabins and campsites.
See what Penobscot Rafting is all about in this short video clip.
Yankee Magazine rates Penobscot River Rafting one of Maine's Best Adventures and recommends Northern Outdoors.
Your Fantastic Adventure Basecamp is Abol Bridge Campground on the Penobscot River!Drive four hours north of Portland, Maine into pristine wilderness anchored by Mt. Katahdin, Baxter State Park and the mighty headwaters of the Penobscot River. Mt. Katahdin is Maine's highest peak and the terminus of the 2000-mile long Appalachian trail. Choose from tent & RV sites or rustic bunkhouses for your spectacular Penobscot adventure vacation getaway. Northern Outdoors is the only outfitter located directly on the Penobscot River, the Appalachian Trail and the Baxter State Park trails! Learn more about your Penobscot adventure basecamp options.
Book Penobscot Rafting Online
- Scenery: Spectacular wilderness scenery and wildlife viewing mecca as you float by the base of Mt. Katahdin, Maine's highest peak and the dominant centerpiece of Baxter State Park.
- Whitewater Rapids: Challenging, technical BIG water rafting - similar to the famous Gauley River in West Virginia.
- Consistent, dam-controlled river means big water excitement all season.
- River Playtime: Big surfing fun at Amberjackmockamus and classic swimming play spots.
- Kids ages 15-17 go Half Price, weekdays in summer. One child per full paying adult. Northern is the only outfitter with kids' half price rafting!
- Food: Gourmet grilled lunch at the best location on the river! Salmon, anyone?
- Time in New England's Wilderness Paradise: to unwind, relax, and connect with family, friends, and self. Learn more about the Katahdin region.
|What's Included||Lunch, equipment (paddle, helmet, lifejacket, self-bailing raft), Professional Registered Maine Guide in every raft, transportation to/from the river. Full use of facilities at our Abol Bridge Campground Basecamp. Post trip video and slide show.|
|Minimum Age||Age 15 for the Upper Penobscot section through Ripogenous Gorge
Age 12 for the Lower Penobscot section
The next step up in rafting after the Kennebec River.
|Meeting Time & Location||Abol Bridge Campground, 7:30am (is located 2 ½ hours from The Forks)|
|What to Bring||See our Rafting FAQ. Wetsuits, booties, & paddling jackets are available for rent in cool weather.|
|Trip Length & Duration||14 miles / Full day, includes lunch on the river|
|Season Dates||May 28th - September 4th, 2016|
|Pricing||$69 - $99 per person, not including taxes and fees|
||Every participant must sign our rafting waiver form. Download our Participation Waiver Form|
|Trip Photos||Yes, available for sale post trip along with a video! See trip photos here.|
|Major Named Rapids||Exterminator, Staircase, Troublemaker, The Cribworks, Amberjackmockamus, Nesowadnehunk Falls (a.k.a. lose-your-lunch falls)|
|River Fees||A user fee of $6.00 per person to cover road access to the river and a levy paid to the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife will be added to each rafting guest.|
|Penobscot River Map||Get directions with our Penobscot area map!|
For an Extra Value Getaway: Raft a Second River For 1/2 Price
Combine a day of white water rafting on the Penobscot River with a Kennebec River or Dead River Whitewater Rafting Adventure and save 50% per person on your second (and third day of rafting).
Check out our Specials
More Details about Whitewater Rafting Trips on the Penobscot River
Need a little more information in order to decide if our Penobscot Rafting Trip is right for you? Want to know more about the Penobscot River, area, or our rafting trip details? Read on. If you don't find what you are looking for, don't hesitate to call our Adventure Specialists at 800-765-RAFT800-765-RAFT FREE, or click on Live Chat.
What's the Difference Between the Upper and Lower Sections of the Penobscot River?
- Upper Penobscot Gorge Section: ages 15 and up (2.5 miles)
- Lower Penobscot Section: ages 12 and up (11.5 miles)
- The kids special half price rafting is valid for kids 15-17 during summer weekdays. We encourage younger kids to do the Kennebec River instead, due the the Penobscot's size and level of difficulty.