Katahdin Adventure Base Camp
Northern Outdoors’ base of operations for rafting the Penobscot River is the Katahdin Adventure Base Camp at the Big Moose Inn, located 8 miles outside of Millinocket in Maine’s North Woods. Whitewater raft, hike in Baxter State Park, go fishing for landlock salmon, or rent a stand up paddle board on Millinocket Lake…the adventures are endless.
Katahdin Adventure Base Camp at The Big Moose Inn
Explore Maine’s North Woods, with abundant wilderness, mountains, rivers, trails, and hundred of lakes, all within an easy drive from major cities (approximately 5 hours from Boston, MA and 3 hrs from Portland, ME). Relax in a lakeside cabin, cook s’mores over a fire in the wilderness campground, and wake up to whitewater rafting the class V Penobscot River! The Big Moose Inn is situated between Millinocket and Ambajejus Lakes where guest can enjoy kayaks, canoes, and pontoon boat rides, two on-site restaurants, a convenience store, and free WiFi in all cabins, inn rooms, and lower campground sites.
Base Camp Amenities
- Whitewater Rafting on the Penobscot River
- Variety of lodging with inn rooms & suites, lakeside cabins, remote campground
- Two on-site restaurants
- Situated between two lakes, with canoe, kayak, and SUP rentals
- Northwoods Trading Post, with gift shop, grab-and-go pizza and deli sandwiches, beer, and snacks within walking distance
- Katahdin Adventure Base Camp is for Northern Outdoors’ summer adventures ONLY. For year round accommodations, visit The Forks cabin rentals.
Lodging at The Big Moose Inn & Campground
The Big Moose Inn offers a wide selection of indoor accommodations for individuals and groups rafting the Penobscot River and exploring the Katahdin region. Big Moose has inn suites with private baths, inn rooms with shared baths, lakeside cabins, wilderness campground, RV sites, all situated either on or within walking distance of two beautiful lakes.
Katahdin & Baxter State Park
– Rivals the Rockies or Alaska for fishing, wildlife, paddling, camping, birdwatching, hunting, whitewater rafting, and hiking recreation.
– Hike Katahdin, the northern end of the Appalachian Trail.
– Home to incredible wildlife, including moose, white-tailed deer, osprey, bald eagles, blue herons, otters, beavers, and more.
– World-class fishing for trout, landlocked salmon, and smallmouth bass.
– Explore the Debsconeag Ice Caves, hike and swim at Blueberry Ledges.
THE FORKS ADVENTURE RESORT
Our other location in The Forks, Maine is home of Kennebec River Pub & Brewery, year round cabin rentals for whitewater rafting the Kennebec and Dead Rivers, ATVing, snowmobiling and more…