11 Feb Northern Outdoors: The Forks Area Snowmobile Trail Conditions Report 2-11-2016
We received between 3 and 5 inches of snow on Monday night, depending on the exact location. The low end down along the Kennebec River and upper amounts once you get out of the valley. With this new snow our trail conditions have improved greatly. We groomed all trail sections on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and plan to groom right through the weekend.
In general, sections of trail on unplowed roads are very good and woods trails are rough. The Forks Trail System is about 80% roads and 20% woods trails. There is very enjoyable riding out there but it is still low snow conditions for mid-February. Watch out for unexpected hazards.
- ITS 86 FROM BERRY’S STORE HEADING EAST TOWARD GREENVILLE/ROCKWOOD TO THE ITS 88 JUNCTION. Intown is very rough, but passable. We can’t groom intown until we get more snow. Once out of town just a couple miles, things improve greatly. Boise Road section is good. Half mile Power Line section near Moxie Pond is rough. Couple wet spots through there that are easily gotten around. There is a 2 mile section of plowed road due to logging, around Moxie Pond and on the Shirley Road section. There is a hard packed snow surface on the plowed road. Rest of the way up to ITS 88 intersection is in fine shape.
- ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM. Divide Road section to Northern Outdoors is good. ITS 87 heading south from Northern Outdoors to Pleasant Pond and over to the Moores Bog area has 3 separate 1 mile sections of woods trails that are rough. Other than that it is good going. There are also 2 separate 1 mile sections of plowed road due to logging. There is a hard packed snow surface on the plowed roads. Go slow through there and watch for trucks. Caratunk Spur is groomed. The 3 mile spur trail up to the Moxie Mountain Lookout is groomed . . . . Nice views of the Bigelow Range and Sugarloaf/USA.
- PLEASANT POND TRAIL. Closed for the entire season due to logging.
- BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL FROM ITS 86 HEADING SOUTH TO ITS 87. Nice ride all the way through.
- KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL. Is open all the way through and groomed. Last mile on the north end can’t be groomed until we get more snow, so it’s rough but passable.
For day riders, the FREE PARK & RIDE LOT is open. The lot is very large, well plowed and can accommodate large trailers. There is groomed access to all trails from the lot. It is located right on Route 201 just ¼ mile south of Northern Outdoors. Food, trail maps, 91 octane gas are available at Northern Outdoors.
We’ve also have a very active Facebook page where we do our best to answer timely questions and update on new conditions as they happen. Feel free to share your adventure photos and leave feedback as well!