04 Mar 12 The Forks Area Snowmobile Trail Report
A series of low pressure systems have passed through over the past 10 days, dumping nearly 2 feet of snow on us. All 100 miles of The Forks Trail System are in great shape with plenty of snow. We are seeing a lot of happy riders out there and our groomers are out regularly smoothing things out. No major warm up in sight, so the trails will hold up well with prime riding for at least a couple weeks. Get out there while we have it!
• ITS 86 EAST FROM BERRY'S STORE HEADING TOWARD GREENVILLE: Great riding all the way to Greenville. Intown trail is in good shape. Boise Road, Shirley Road and Brochu Road sections are all flat and fast. Short ½ mile Power Line section near Moxie Pond is still a bit rough, but has good snow cover.
• ITS 87 SOUTH HEADING TOWARD BINGHAM: Great riding on the Divide Road. A little rough in wooded section for 1 mile around Moore’s Bog. Great riding elsewhere. Check out the groomed spur trail up to the Moxie Mountain Lookout. Spectacular views of Sugarloaf and the Bigelow Range. Well worth the short detour.
• BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL FROM ITS 87 TO ITS 86: Outstanding ride all the way through. This trail, combined with ITS 86 & 87, makes a nice loop ride to/from The Forks, with some beautiful mountain scenery.
• PLEASANT POND TRAIL: This club trail is groomed with fine riding. One half mile rough section around the south side of Pleasant Pond. Excellent elsewhere.
• BREAKNECK RIDGE TRAIL: This trail is closed for the 2012 season, due to logging and several miles of plowed roads. It is illegal to ride on unauthorized plowed roads. Please respect the landowners wishes on this.
• KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL FROM NORTHERN OUTDOORS TO ITS 86/87: Good riding all the way through. Scenic trail along the Kennebec River.
For day riders, there is a FREE PARK & RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors on Route 201, with groomed trail access. Lot is well plowed, very large and can accommodate trailers of all sizes. Food, trail maps and gas are available right at the Lodge.
Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Club