22 Jan 13 The Forks Area Snowmobile Trail Report
Happy snowmobilers over MLK weekend. Plenty of snow and good trail conditions prevail. All 100 miles of The Forks Trail System are open and being groomed on a regular basis.
• ITS 86 HEADING EAST FROM BERRY’S STORE TOWARD GREENVILLE AND ROCKWOOD Intown trail is getting pounded out and is a bit rough, however it is all very passable. Once just 1 mile out of town, things improve greatly. Boise Road is flat and fast! Short ½ mile Power Line section near Moxie Pond is somewhat rough, with a few rocks poking through and a couple wet spots to watch for. There are 2 miles of plowed road around Moxie Pond due to a logging operation. There is a solid hard snow/ice surface on all but about 50 yards of the road by the dam, so you’ll be grinding a little dirt on that short stretch. Great riding the rest of the way.
• ITS 87 HEADING SOUTH TOWARD BINGHAM Divide Road is flat and very fast. A few rocks poking through on the short woods trail sections at Pleasant Pond and Moore’s Bog. Some small thin patches on a short windblown section around the south side of Moxie Mountain. Check out the 3 mile groomed spur trail up to the Moxie Mt Lookout. Spectacular views of Sugarloaf Mt and the Bigelow Range.
• BALD MOUNTAIN TRAIL FROM ITS 86 TO ITS 87 Good snow and great riding all the way through.
• BREAKNECK RIDGE TRAIL Good ride through to Blanchard.
• PLEASANT POND TRAIL Plenty of snow and a super ride all the way. This trail combined with the Bald Mountain Trail and ITS 87, makes a nice scenic loop ride around Moxie Mountain.
• KENNEBEC RIVER TRAIL FROM NORTHERN OUTDOORS TO WEST FORKS A little thin on the inside of some corners, but not bad. A little rough the last 1 mile into town.
For day riders, there’s a FREE PARK & RIDE LOT at Northern Outdoors main lodge on Route 201. The lot is very large, well plowed and will accommodate large trailers. A groomed trail directly from the parking lot accesses ITS 87 or the Kennebec River Trail. Gas, food and trail maps are available at NO. Look for the big PARK & RIDE sign just before Northern Outdoors.
Northern Outdoors Snowmobile Club